Digital strategy, commissioning and content — Southbank Centre, Universal Music and the BBC
A digital leader with over ten years' experience of using technology to engage audiences and help organisations achieve strategic objectives. I am adept at digital strategy and transformation, content commissioning and production, and product management. I am a Certified Scrum Master.
Head of Digital
2012 to 2016
Recruited specifically to lead digital transformation at Europe's largest arts centre, I worked with the board and Executive Team to design and implement strategies for digital platforms, content and audiences. In four years, I radically transformed a non-digital organisation into one with capability in content production and distribution.
- Defined strategies and operational plans for digital platforms, content and audiences.
- Created workflows, systems and standards for content production and distribution.
- Recruited and lead digital commissioning, digital media and social media teams.
- Lead advocate for digital transformation.
- Regular presention to the board and governors.
A major new digital artistic programme
Reporting directly to artistic director Jude Kelly, I directed an annual programme of digital art, Web activism, data visualisation, interactive and virtual reality experiences.
- Web We Want festival — as curator of this major new festival, I worked directly with Sir Tim Berners-Lee’s Web Foundation, and 100+ artistic partners to create a 9-month programme which celebrated and examined 25 years of the World Wide Web.
- Digital arts programming — I directed, commissioned work from world-class digital and visual artists James Bridle, Stefanie Posavec, Liliane Lijn, Jeremy Bailey, Alan Warburton and Marshmallow Laser Feast.
- Digital broadcast — Fulfilling Southbank Centre’s ambitions to extend the reach of their festival programme, I managed the acquisition of digital capture and broadcast capability, and defined intellectual property framework for performance filming.
- Community and education — Southbank Centre believes the arts have the power to transform lives. I directed a digital education programme including workshops, maker labs and hack days in addition to award-winning online education content.
Digital Innovation Lead
2011 to 2012
Linked open data and the semantic Web
My job was to build relationships with the startup community and use digital to achieve Universal Music UK's strategic objectives. I realised the most valuable contribution the world's largest record label could make was to open our data to anyone building a music technology product.
The Universal Music Artist Gateway linked Universal data with data and content from third party sites to create a persistent web page for every single artist and release across all major UMG labels. The data was offered in three machine readable formats - XML, JSON and RDF. This was the first time a major label had engaged with the semantic web.
Music tech for London 2012
Lead technical product development of suite of products as part of Universal Music's music partnership with the London Olympic Games.
Lead liaison between Universal Music's seven major record labels and tech development and start-up community. Represented Universal at hack days and conferences in UK and internationally.
BBC Music Interactive
Content Producer, Major Music Festivals
2007 to 2011
Bringing Glastonbury from stage to screen
I lead digital content and web production for BBC Glastonbury, Reading and Leeds, Radio 1’s Big Weekend. This involved leading a 20+ outside digital broadcast team, web product management, live video streaming and editorial and compliance. I grew BBC Glastonbury coverage from a single webcam feed to 10 stages of live HD video / 1M views during the festival.
- Live Web outside broadcasts - lead digital producer onsite at festival, running multidisciplinary team of developers, designers, content and social producers.
- Web development — lead development and production of live event websites.
- Content design and editorial — commissioned innovative multi-platform media.
Commissioning Editor, Music
2004 to 2007
Lead content commissioning and editorial for BBC culture website and online community.
Fostered a highly engaged community around the arts and culture online.